Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blog Improvement Project Task One - A blogging to do list


I love to do lists, I really do. I love the google task feature in my gmail. I can take the tasks and rearrange them, check them off, clear off the completed tasks.  Love task lists.

Yet, this task - making a blogging to do list, was a challenge. Kim & Jackie sent us over to Chris Brogan's 50 Ways to Take your Blog to the Next Level. The first item on his list is to make your goal and your target audience crystal clear.  Hmmm, I am not really a good foodie, I love food, I enjoy cooking, *but* and you knew there would be a but, it isn't all I do and I'm not a good cook.  I am learning, but frankly I don't do it enough.  I also love books, LOVE books, possibly a little more than food.  Only a little though. I also enjoy politics.  Quite a bit actually, perhaps not as much as food and books, but quite a bit.  I love my daughter (more than food and books). And, finally, I am trying to finish my 101 Goals in 1,001 days project (not trying as hard as I should). So I guess this blog is about me.  I have no idea who my target audience is.  I'd like to think it is smart funny people. :) Because I find this particular suggestion to be such a challenge, I am going to skip it.  Instead, I am going to write about what I want to write about and not worry about creating a niche or fitting into a niche.

So here is my list:
  • Design (eg. template, colour scheme, sidebar content)
    • I will create a unique design for my blog (or get someone to create said unique design).
    • I will create a unique design for the Eaton County Humane Society's blog that is professional and friendly.
  • Quality of posts (eg. post length, variety, images)
    • Here my goal is both quality and quantity.
      • I will post at least daily to my personal blog.
      • I will vary my post topics and avoid simply reposting someone else's recipes, etc, expect when I think it improves my content or needs repeating.
      • I will post three times a week to the Humane Society's blog
        • Once a week a featured animal,
        • Once a week a pet/animal health/happiness post/cross link, etc,
        • Once a week a fundraising issue (sometimes subbed with a featured animal).
      • I will include a photo or image with every ECHS post and in most of my posts.
  • Social Media Integration (eg. Twitter, Facebook, Digg)
    • I will twitter each update to both blogs. (maybe). {that sounds more task like than I will better utilize twitter. . . ).
    • I will develop facebook as a promotion and information site for ECHS and the ECHS blog.
  • Search Engine Optimization (eg. meta tags, keywords, page descriptions)
    • I would like to learn about this. . . 
  • Ease of subscribing (eg. RSS button, email subscription option)
    • And this.
  • Branding (eg. gravatar, favitar)
    • Need help here too. 
So there is my to do list.  Some of it not very to do like more goal like, that's okay, that's where I am right now.

    **update: first obvious task, fix list items so they aren't white and can be read. ug.**

    No comments:

    Post a Comment