Tuesday, May 10, 2011

An easy & good homemade gluten free pizza

Pizza & Nacho Cheese Doritos are the foods I miss the most.  I mean fresh, hot pizza with crispy pepperoni pieces.  I loved both thin & deep dish crusts.  I love a good pizza sauce.  I haven't found a good homemade one or a good store bought one (but I have some leads on some good bottled sauces).  I haven't worked with rice flour enough to make my own good crust.  Guido's Pizza over in Okemos has great gluten free pizza, but that is quite the drive and they aren't cheap.  Godfather's Pizza has a decent gluten pizza in Battle Creek and they do take and bake. But again, I'm not often out that way and it is quite a drive.  I have tried two different frozen gf pizzas and a frozen pre-made gf pizza crust.  All three were terrible.  I have been picking up the Chebe bag of crust mix for at the grocery store for a while now. What if I paid $5 for it and put all the effort into it and it sucked?  That would make me sad. (I think it was $3 and change at Meijer.)

Last night, I gave in and tried it.  I was happily surprised.  My complaint with the frozen crusts (and many other gluten free products) is the texture.  It is dry and sandy with little to no flavor.  When I opened this bag, I could smell the seasonings.  It was a pleasant surprise.  The directions were easy to follow and the dough came together as promised by the bag.  The flour had a pretty smooth feeling to it.  Take note GF producers, if the flour feels grainy and hard, the end product will probably not be that tastey. 

The crust rolled out niceley and did not fall apart and break up easily.  Places where I pushed too hard came back together easily.  As you can see, I am an easy and simple pizza topper.  Pepperoni and good cheese. 
This picture doesn't give you much perspective.  The cookie sheet is a smaller cookie sheet.  I think I ended up cutting 16 squares from the end product.  I ate the first 2 or 3 and then set about doing dishes and what not.  The family had eaten before I got home but by the end of the night only about a quarter of the pizza was left.  The crust could have been crispier but I wonder if that was due to my technique. I will definitely be buying and making this again. 

I don't recall the packaging speaking to whether it was organic or whether they use any genetically modified ingrediants.  I am planning to check more into those issues (so hopefully, I can keep eating it!)  Chebe's website can be found at http://www.chebe.com/.

I will be posting a review of Guido's gluten free pizza as well as a review of Godfather's gluten free pizza in the future.  For now, I would say that I would eat again at either restaurant!


No comments:

Post a Comment