Saturday, January 23, 2010

A busy day!

Today was my busiest day all week! I made my own lunch and dinner, did some dishes, watched Sanctuary and Fringe, and made some homemade chocolate peanut butter pudding. Now I am getting ready to head to bed for the night after I finish watching Iron Man.  I love Robert Downey Jr. and cannot wait for Iron Man II.  May 7 cannot come fast enough!

The recipe comes from my Better Homes & Gardens 75th Anniversary Edition New Cookbook, page 255. Well, it started out their recipe, the peanut butter part was all me {although, you may have guessed that by my unit of measure - globs}. Enjoy!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding

3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup Dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder or unsweetened cocoa powder*
2 2/3 cups milk
4 beaten egg yolks
2 globs of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy your pick, I go with creamy)
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Separate and beat 4 egg yolks in a small bowl.

2. In a medium heavy saucepan, combine sugar, chocolate, and cornstarch.  Whisk in milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.  Remove pan from heat.

3. Gradually stir 1 cup of milk mixture into egg yolks. Add egg mixture to milk mixture in pan.Bring milk mixture to a gentle boil; reduce heat.  Cook and stir for two minutes more. (I totally forgot this step - that being the gentle boil.)

4. Remove pan from heat.  Stir in butter, peanut butter, and vanilla.  Pour pudding into a bowl.  Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap.  Serve warm or cold.  Do not stir during chillings.

*it is possible I accidentally used 2/3 of cup, I can't remember now, the recipe calls for 1/3 of cup. 

Book Review ~ Smash Cut
While in the hospital, I finished up Sandra Brown's latest book, Smash Cut.  Amazon.com indicates the book had good reviews.  I found it to be a slow read.  It was 367 pages long.  I figured out who the bad guy was pretty quickly, I don't think it was supposed to be a secret.  Then the rest of the book was watching the main characters figure out who done it and figure out how they were going to catch him.  Pretty slow going, then the twist in the end, weird.  **SPOILER** I mean really, Paul was okay with people thinking he was having an affair with his daughter rather than let on that he was her father. Their weekly meetings in a hotel room?  She didn't want to dishonor her adopted father so she hid her relationship with her biological father?  Don't make a lot of sense to me.  Also if Paul was the honorable man she kept making him out to be, he would have disinherited Creighton a long time ago.  I know that both of those twists were supposed to keep us guessing but they were a bit much.  Julie had no reason for keeping it from Derek either.  The inheritance maybe but the relationship, no, not really. **END SPOILER**  I would give the book 2 1/2 out of 5. I finished it  because I couldn't leave the hospital and get a better book from the library.  Plus, I started it and I hate not finishing a book.

p.s. if anyone out there knows how to fix my dateline, please let me know, it is starting to annoy me to enough to leave blogger. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment