Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I have a confession.

I am obsessed with Sarah Palin. I can't read enough about her. We don't have tv and I don't have the patience to watch a clip her and a clip there. So most of my Palin information comes from the web. Here's the thing, she drives me nuts. And I don't normally go out of my way to read about politicians I dislike.

I don't understand my fascination with her. I suppose it could be likened to watching a car accident. I have watched her resignation and its meriod of responses with great interest. I know the traditional thinking is she's out. But I'm not convinced that she is down for the count. I'm also not convinced she has a masterplan. She doesn't seem like the masterplan type which I think is part of my fascination. We are always left wondering what comes next. I listen carefully to her speechs to understand what she is saying. I am a relatively intelligent person. I have well educated. Yet, often, I have no idea what she is saying. I get the themes real fast. She is good with themes. But the details, she loses me with the details. I'm not alone in this. Her inability to make sense would normally make me just write her off. But she seems to hold a special place for me and I don't seem to be alone in this. Apparently, some 7 of 10 Republican voters say they would vote her in as president. Holy Snikies Batman, 7 of 10! Looks like their special place is different than my special place.

I worry that my fascination with all things Palin says more about me than her. I could not disagree more with her politics. I do not regard her as particularily clever or competant. I have been known to complain about the cult like place personality has obtained in our politics. Yet, I fear I am fueling it with every click on another Palin article. So do I stop reading or tell myself my clicks don't matter. . . speaking of clicks, here's another article.

No comments:

Post a Comment