Thursday, July 30, 2009

Spaghetti with Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs

I actually cooked dinner tonight and we brought our lunch to work. I found this recipe in one of those recipe machines at the grocery store. It is a Rachael Ray recipe.

I added about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of chopped onion to the tomato mixture. I also bought the wrong size of canned tomatoes and had half of what the recipe calls for. Next time, I'll make sure I have the right amount. I also cooked it covered as I was concerned about the lack of liquid (I, um, just figured out my mistake). Kate helped shape the meatballs around the cheese. Some of the cheese melted out some of the meatballs. Kate said she didn't like it. She ate her three meatballs and her plain angel hair pasta. She says she doesn't like a lot of things and then one day she does. She thought the meatballs were too moist and she likes my old drier meatball recipe. The kid is just odd. :)

I took pictures both in the pot and on the plate. But I can't figure out how to get them off the camera. One thing at a time I guess. . .

I only have two complaints/comments, (1) the recipe says it serves 6 and that it makes 20 meatballs. 20 is not evenly divisible by 6. (2) it actually made 19. If I can make this, anyone can! Pretty good I'd say! I will definitely be making this one again, but next time, I'll actually follow the recipe!

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup milk or water
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, 2 smashed and 1 chopped
  • Two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
  • Salt
  • 1 pound lean ground sirloin
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 (1/2-inch) cubes
  • 1 pound spaghetti

Directions:

  1. In a medium bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk.

  2. In a large, wide saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season to taste with salt and let the sauce simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally.

  3. Add the beef, chopped garlic, parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, egg and 1 teaspoon of salt to the soaked bread crumbs and stir with a fork until combined. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in your hand and press a mozzarella cube into the center. Shape the meat around the cheese, forming a ball. Repeat with the remaining meat and mozzarella.

  4. Stir the sauce and raise the heat to medium- low. Carefully place the meatballs in the sauce, submerging them completely. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook without stirring for 20 minutes.

  5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti, cook until al dente, about 8 minutes, and drain. Toss the spaghetti with the tomato sauce and meatballs, sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment